wake county
mental health resources

NAMI Wake County →
A family-based, grassroots support and advocacy organization.


Emergency Service Providers

Contact No.: 911

Ask for a CIT Officer. They are law enforcement officers who received special training in de-escalating crisis situations involving people living with mental illness and substance abuse disorders.

UNC Crisis and Assessment Services

Address: 107 Sunnybrook Rd., Raleigh NC 27610

Contact No.: 919-250-1260

Crisis help is available for emergency situations 24 hours a day by walking in or through a phone call.

Holly Hill Hospital (HHH) RESPOND

Address: 3019 Falstaff Road, Raleigh NC 27610

Contact No.: 919-250-7000

Emergency Services Behavioral Health resource HHH is committed to helping you address your needs when outpatient levels of service are no longer adequate to maintain your safety and your ability to perform normal daily functions.

When you need further assessment to ensure safety or functionality, you can also go to the Holly Hill Hospital’s Respond Department located at the rear of the hospital.

HHH is not authorized to bill for all types of insurance including Medicaid for adults between the ages of 22 and 64. You might also want to authorize someone to talk to business staff prior to your admission to determine how much you will be charged for any charges your insurance doesn’t cover.

Other Hospitals - No Mental Health Unit

WakeMed: 3000 New Bern Avenue

WakeMed Cary: 1900 Kildaire Farm Road

Rex Hospital: 4420 Lake Boone Trail

Duke Raleigh: 3400 Wake Forest Road

None of these hospitals has a mental health unit, but they will check you for any medical problems and determine whether or not you need to be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric unit at another facility.

Other Hospitals - With Mental Health Unit

UNC Neuropsychiatric Hospital in Chapel Hill: 101 Manning Drive

Duke Hospital in Durham: 2301 Erwin Road

Durham Regional Hospital in Durham: 3642 N. Roxboro Street

These hospitals have a psychiatric unit. They will check you for any medical problems and determine whether or not you need to be involuntarily committed.

If so, you may be admitted to their psychiatric unit if a bed is available. If not, staff will locate a bed in another hospital which may be as close as Durham, Chapel Hill or Rocky Mount, or as far as Jacksonville or Asheville.

What to Expect from Inpatient Psychiatric Hospitalization

Most inpatient stays are very short, i.e., less than a week. They are primarily intended to provide safety and stabilization through medication management and a safe and therapeutic environment.

To avoid hospitalization and to maintain as much stability as possible, it is important to have good outpatient mental health services in place, i.e., psychiatrist, therapist, psychosocial, etc.

If you are particularly psychotic or aggressive, you may not be appropriate for admission to a regular inpatient psychiatric unit. In that case, you will probably be admitted to a state psychiatric hospital bed. For the Wake County area, most patients are admitted to Central Regional Hospital in Butner.

On average, stays at state hospitals do not last very long, usually one to two weeks but can be as long as several months when needed. Social workers at the hospitals are responsible for providing discharge planning which connects patients to outpatient resources in the community.